Saturday, January 26, 2013

Italian Charm @ Sorrento Trattoria

S, W and I decided to head out to the Portsea/Sorrento area for breakfast, which turned into brunch and then lunch. In fact we didn't actually manage to make it down until well after 2pm. After a spot of shopping along the main strip in Sorrento and an obligatory ice cream, given it was a 40 something degree day, we finally decided it was time for some real food.

Our awkward timing meant that most places had their kitchens closed before the dinner rush, but I spotted a little pizza joint across the road that seemed to still be open. Initially we planned to take away a pizza and eat it down by the beach, as the restaurant didn't seem to be more than a tiny take away shop front.

Upon entering the shop and seeing a few empty tables, we decided to dine in. It wasn't until I walked past the counter and saw a beautiful little courtyard in the back, that I realized the restaurant was much bigger than I thought. We picked a table in the back garden, draped in sunlight and were made to feel very welcome by our waitress.

After perusing the menu we decided to order the cheese platter, a main sized chicken and avocado gnocchi and a medium chorizio pizza. The cheese and fruit platter was generous, the pizza was a little on the crisper side and the sausage overdone, but it was still rather tasty, and the gnocchi was also quite nice but a tad bland. Despite my criticisms, the food on a whole was better than many of the Italian restaurants I have been to. Sorrento Trattoria is a nice place to bring the family for an enjoyable and affordable meal. From what I recall the meal was around the $60 mark, maybe even a smidgin under.

I was glad we paid this little restaurant a visit, kitsch tablecloths and all, the place had a charm about it. I'd even go as far to say that the garden nestled in the back brought back memories of my time eating my way through Italy.
 
Sorrento Trattoria on Urbanspoon
My Rating: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment